The only thing more shocking about the purple swamphen (Porphyrio porphyrio) than its plumage, is its diet. While it feeds mostly on vegetation, it is also known to eat the eggs and even the live young of other water birds. It is one of the largest members of the rail family (consisting of crakes, coots, and gallinules, among others), and its robust build allows it to more or less roam wherever it pleases within its range.
Bay Cat (Pardofelis badia)
Also known as the Bornean cat, or Bornean marbled cat, the bay cat is a species of wild cat (Felinae) which is endemic to the island of Borneo, where it is relatively rare. Like many other cat species, bay cats are nocturnal and secretive. Due to this not much is known about bay cat biology and ecology, however they are known to feed on medium sized vertebrates.
Currently Pardofelis badia is listed as endangered on the IUCN red list as it faces threats from deforestation and habitat destruction.
Image: Jim Sanderson
Blue-rayed Metalmark - Lyropteryx apollonia
Lyropteryx apollonia (Riodinidae) is one of those butterflies that are equally striking whether they are seen from both the upperside (top photo) or the underside (bottom photo) of the wings.
In addition to its stunning look, these butterflies have a peculiar behavior. Males are occasionally seen visiting sewage seepages or urine-soaked ground. They drink using the “filter-feeding” method, whereby they imbibe almost continually, extracting salts from mineral-rich patches of ground, or from the edges of puddles. Periodically they squirt the demineralized water from their anus, curving their abdomen so as to aim the liquid at the ground beneath their feet. There it leaches more minerals from the ground, which are re-imbibed. This process is continuous and the butterflies often recycle the same fluid many times during a period of several minutes.
The Blue-rayed Metalmark is widely distributed throughout the tropical regions of South America including Colombia, western and southern Brazil, Peru, and Bolivia.
To celebrate getting over 400 followers (you guys rock!) here is a giveaway just for you! So thank you for following! This is my first official giveaway so I’m excited! Make sure you read all the rules or your entries will not count.
The prizes (click the pictures to enlarge):
- Your choice of a hooded cowl (top) OR oversized infinity scarf (bottom) in the color of your choice that I will crochet for you!
- Your choice of two locally made, artisan crafted Goat’s Milk Soaps from Angel Ridge Farm (The link has scents available, I use Hippy Chick and it’s AMAZING).
- Small ball jar of dried yarrow I wildcrafted from this summer.
- Atlantean Quartz rune set: 25 Elder Futhark runes hand painted onto quartz with gold paint and a drawstring pouch for storage.
- Assortment of magical herbs (not pictured)
- 1 tea infuser & a mug (not pictured)
- 1 surprise tea blend (not pictured)
- Must be following me
- Must be 18 years or older
- One reblog = one entry (but don’t be a jerk and spam because I’ll disqualify you)
- Likes don’t count, but like this entry if you want to bookmark.
- Altering the text of this post will cause you to be disqualified.
- Your ask box must be open & you must be okay with providing me with a shipping address.
- Giveaway blogs excluded
- This giveaway is open internationally.
- Tag your entry with “rosietomato” so I know you read the rules.
- There will be 1 winner, which will be randomly selected using random.org
- The winner needs to respond within 24 hours or a new winner will be chosen
- Not following the rules will disqualify you.
- The giveaway ends on MIDNIGHT, OCTOBER 1st 2014.
- This giveaway is not associated with Tumblr in any way, shape or form.
- The approximate value of this giveaway is $140
- I will be paying for shipping.
- Please allow 2-4 weeks for shipping, as I will be crocheting you something custom.
- Send me an ask/message if you have any questions!
I know it’s a little late but I couldn’t wait till tomorrow. All you gotta do to win all of these crystals is follow the rules carefully!
- Please follow my blog if it’s to your liking. Not required but forever grateful.
- Reblogging the post will count as an entry. 1 reblog = 1 entry. Please don’t spam your followers.
- Go to my store www.CosmicMoonlight.com via Storenvy and give me a follow.
- If you haven’t already please give my Facebook page a like. Another giveaway will be going on over there.
- Must be willing to give out name and mailing address. Worldwide shipping!
- Giveaway will end September 26th at 11:59 pm pacific time.
- 3 Lemurian Seed crystals
- 3 Clear Quartz crystals.
- 9 small Opalite pieces.
- 1 Amethyst (dyed) moon bracelet. Made by me :)
- 1 Jade pendant.
- 1 Amethyst heart pendant.
- A pair of lotus flower Rose Quartz earrings. Made by me!
- 2 Amethyst clusters.
- 1 Titanium Quartz cluster.
- 1 large raw Amazonite stone.
- 1 medium Mahogany Obsidian tumbled stone.
- 1 medium raw Clear Quartz stone.
- 1 small Peacock Ore crystal.
- 1 tiny Citrine point.
Thank you all for the love and support you have shown me. I appreciate it so so much. This giveaway is for you! Please don’t alter the text in any way and if you have any questions feel free to message me!
Giveaway to Thank All of My Followers on Tumblr & Youtube!!
Giveaway ends September 22nd at Midnight.
**Please DO NOT remove my text**
This is my first giveaway ever & I feel like I’ve been truly blessed since starting my channel, blog & my Etsy shop, so I wanted to take a moment & thank all of my followers for being so supportive; and while I don’t have a ton of followers yet on Etsy the ones I do have, have been loyal & there from the very beginning. So THANK YOU to everyone who helps me keep doing what I love to do<3
What you get… A Divination Kit Extraordinaire :D
~Deck of Raider Waite Tarot Cards & accompanying book
~Handmade Pretty Tarot Bag
~Unique Citrine & Smokey Quartz Pendulum~ Since it naturally doesn’t absorb negative energy & has the ability to cleanse, Citrine itself never needs to be cleansed. This ability also makes it beneficial for auric cleansing, meditation, spiritual development & psychic awareness. Combined with Smoky Quartz this pendulum is both beautiful & powerful for divinatory work.
~Handmade Felt Pendulum Pouch
~Three Divination Spell Tea Light Candles~ Organic herbs selected & then blessed by the light of the full moon to empower these tea lights to impart potent energy for successful divinatory work.
~Amethyst, Smoky Quartz & Moonstone Amulet to protect and aid during divinatory, psychic & Spiritual Work. ~ For psychic & spiritual work, Amethyst enhances intuition and psychic powers of all kinds. It also protects against psychic attacks, especially during spiritual work. Smoky Quartz is centering during meditation, as it transforms and removes negative energy, it also protects and cleanses the aura and astral bodies. It can be used effectively for psychic shielding. Moonstone aids the mind by stimulating psychic perception & visions. (Amulet is 1 ½”)
~Handmade Felt Pouch to keep it in.
~Hand Painted Pendulum Mat
~Unique Hand Painted Box to Keep it all Safe & Tucked Away
****Every item in this giveaway with the exception of the Tarot Deck was made by me, and similar items are available for sale on my Etsy shop****
Rules…no worries, there’s only three :D
*1—You must be following me on Tumblr-I don’t care how often you reblog, hopefully it doesn’t annoy your followers too much. www.tumblr.com/blog/bedknobsandbroomstix
*2— Watch my giveaway video on youtube & favorite it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yftndd4xzQ
*3—Check out my Etsy shop, find something that you like & favorite it. www.etsy.com/shop/BedknobsnBroomstix
That’s it! Have fun & good luck